Sunday, February 3, 2013

Orientation and Settling In

Wow, I can't believe how much has happened since I arrived almost one week ago. It has been a whirlwind of emotions and information, but I am finally settled into my permanent residence for the semester. The house that I am living in is owned by a family who lives on the first two floors. They rent out the third floor which has its own private entrance and stair case for four tenants. I have my own room and Clair,e a member of my program and my first friend in Brussels, lives here too! We share with two young Belgian professionals--a lawyer and an insurance salesman. We have a huge sitting room, kitchen as well as two bathrooms to share between the four of us. It is so charming and homey. The neighborhood is mostly residential and is therefore quiet and very safe. There are lots of families who live here and I am so happy to say that I do too!  


Although I am very content now, the week hasn't been all smiles and fun. The first few days of orientation were brutal. I felt so alone, scared and overwhelmed. I spent many hours crying in the lobby via Skype to my sister and many more crying in my bedroom at the hostel. I was jet lagged and nervous and I wasn't getting enough sleep all of which contributed to my distress. But each time that I would feel that I couldn't push through or began to doubt myself, there was always a turn of events that reminded me to have faith and to stay positive. When I thought that I would be alone for five months and would never make friends, I met Claire and we bonded instantly. When I thought I would never be able to find enough courses to fill my schedule, and internship opportunity arose, and when I thought I would never feel settled, I was given a beautiful house filled with wonderful roommates. 

This week has taught me so much. I have learned that it is okay to cry--even in public, that it is normal to be homesick, to take my time and not be afraid to use a map, and that having confidence is the only way to approach speaking a foreign language and making friends. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment